UN Needs Assessment and Strategic Planning
Donor: International Labor Organization (ILO) • Partner: UNPRPD • Timeframe: Oct. 2019 – Feb. 2020
Supporting the United Nations Disability Inclusion Strategy (UNDIS): Needs Assessment and Strategic Planning for the United Nations Programme on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNPRPD)
IDP assessed current donor and United Nations’ (UN) entity needs and lessons learned from UNPRPD’s progress to date to develop a new Strategic and Operational Framework (2021–2026). This framework will provide a detailed understanding of the envisioned role of UNPRPD in supporting alignment with and implementation of the UNDIS, particularly in the context of joint UN programming, technical assistance, and capacity development of UN staff.
- Conducting a systematic desk review of UNPRPD-funded joint programs, including consultations with the wide range of relevant UNPRPD stakeholders (United Nations Country Teams [UNCTs], governments, organizations of persons with disabilities, etc.) to capture lessons learned and best practices in United Nations’ joint programs for disability inclusion.
- Identifying specific capacity-development needs of the United Nations’ system and partners at country-level through a consultative process, including holding various focus groups at the UNPRPD global workshop with UNCTs currently implementing UNPRPD-funded project.
- Developing three comprehensive internal reports for the UNPRPD Secretariat including:
- A report on lessons learned from past programming
- An assessment of knowledge management and capacity-building needs for UNPRPD-supported UNCTs
- A review of opportunities and potential synergies with UNPRPD and UNDIS