Donor: USAID • Local Partner: Cambodian Disabled People’s Organization (CDPO) •
Timeframe: Aug. 2019 – Feb. 2023
Multi-Country Study on Inclusive Education
In Cambodia, IDP is partnering with USAID through the Long-Term Assistance and Services for Research (LASER) mechanism led by Purdue University to conduct a three-year evaluation of USAID inclusive education activities delivered by All Children Reading (ACR)-Cambodia and its lead implementer, RTI International. Our evaluation, the Multi-Country Study on Inclusive Education (MCSIE), is the first major effort by USAID to investigate what works to improve the quality of education for learners with disabilities. We are leveraging this unique opportunity to derive lessons learned about what works to sustainably advance teaching and learning outcomes for children with disabilities in varying contexts. USAID and its partners will use this information to inform adaptations to its activities in Cambodia and to plan for new inclusive education programming globally.
- Conducting literature and policy reviews around the situation of disability-inclusive education in Cambodia
- Producing detailed evaluation reports identifying strengths and areas of opportunity related to ACR-Cambodia’s inclusive literacy instruction, screening and identification of children with disabilities, and teacher training efforts
- Using evaluation methodologies that include key informant interviews and focus group discussions with implementing partners, disabled persons’ organizations, national and subnational government stakeholders, classroom teachers, principals, and parents; household surveys of parents of children with disabilities; secondary source document review and rubric analysis; and training and classroom observations
- Implementing a comparative case study methodology to dig deeply on qualitative factors supporting or hindering access to and learning in inclusive instructional settings.
- Mapping areas of intervention to include existing systems and actors engaged in disability inclusion in Cambodia